Raknet vs SLikeNet

General topics regarding SLikeNet
7eleven

Raknet vs SLikeNet

Post by 7eleven »

Hi:

I am currently looking into implementing some NAT punch solutions for our P2P game. I've looked around and found Raknet seems to be the easiest/best solution for my problem. Unfortunately, I've noticed that RakNet has all but died :x

Luckily, it seems that SLikeNet is a continuation of RakNet, so I am wondering that if I should just integrate SLikeNet into my project.

Also, I've been having tons of trouble making the RakNet NatPunchThrough sample projects work, and am worried about lack of support/help since I am trying to integrate the first time. I am wondering if I could get the level of support I need here in this forum.

Finally, I'd like to ask what is the difference between RakNet vs SLikeNet? I understand SLikeNet is a continuation of RakNet, but I am wondering if there are any functional differences and feature differences and such.

Eitherway, it is awesome that someone has taken over RakNet and try to rebuild the community :D
Luke1410
Site Admin

Re: Raknet vs SLikeNet

Post by Luke1410 »

Hi 7eleven,

thanks for your interest in SLikeNet. At the current time SLikeNet's feature set merely reflects RakNet's. In the current (and upcoming) version SLikeNet mainly contains fixes/improvements over what RakNet already provided.
We're certainly going to add additional features on top of all of this in the future.

The NAT punch through sample provided with SLikeNet should in principle work. Let us know if you have trouble with this.
We'll also certainly provide you with any help you might require to get SLikeNet working on your project. Just let us know, if you need a hand.
Mikemoriss991

Re: Raknet vs SLikeNet

Post by Mikemoriss991 »

I have SLikeNet for years now and I`m happy with it.