Cannot build NATCompleteServer using CMake

Supporttopics regarding SLikeNet
7eleven

Cannot build NATCompleteServer using CMake

Post by 7eleven »

Hi, I am trying to build and create an NATCompleteServer executable on a Digital Ocean droplet. I am unable to do so though.

I've tried to follow the instructions in the readme file in section 3.3.1. I've been able to run "cmake ../Source" and it works, however, I don't know to generate a NATCompleteServer.exe file that I can run.

I've also went into Samples/NATCompleteServer, and created a cmake folder. In there, I ran again "cmake ../". However, I ran into errors:

Unknown CMake command: GETCURRENTFOLDER

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Luke1410
Site Admin

Re: Cannot build NATCompleteServer using CMake

Post by Luke1410 »

The sample integration in the CMake project is unfortunately not working entirely yet (note, this was also broken in RakNet). SLikeNet 0.1.0 fixed part of the issues, but I'm not sure whether this suffices for you.

You can try defining RAKNET_ENABLE_SAMPLES when configuring CMake. This should produce at least part of the sample projects. If this doesn't suffice in your case, I'd go with creating a simple project manually. Building NATCompleteServer only consists of a single main.cpp file and requires setting up the include folder and static/shared lib for SLikeNet. This should be straight forward to set up.

FTR: Getting all samples working with CMake on Linux/OSX is issue #80 and currently on the schedule for 0.2.0.
mantracker
Junior-Member

Post by mantracker »

Luke1410 wrote:The sample integration in the CMake project is unfortunately not working entirely yet (note, this was also broken in RakNet). SLikeNet 0.1.0 fixed part of the issues, but I'm not sure whether this suffices for you.

You can try defining RAKNET_ENABLE_SAMPLES when configuring CMake. This should produce at least part of the sample projects. If this doesn't suffice in your case, I'd go with creating a simple project manually. Building NATCompleteServer only consists of a single main.cpp file and requires setting up the include folder and static/shared lib for SLikeNet. This should be straight forward to set up.

FTR: Getting all samples working with CMake on Linux/OSX is issue #80 and currently on the schedule for 0.2.0.
Thanks for your prompt response Luke! Since building using CMake for sample project is not working on Linux, I've also been trying to build an executable on my Windows machine, and then putting the .exe file on Linux to run it. I've generated the NATCompleteServer.exe in slikenet/Debug folder (When I built Debug win32 in VS2017 )but when I run it it also doesn't seem to work. This is the log I am getting when I run NATCompleteServer.exe on Linux:

Code: Select all

Unhandled exception: unimplemented function WS2_32.dll.inet_pton called in 32-bit code (0x7bc4cf69).
Register dump:
 CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:0063 GS:006b
 EIP:7bc4cf69 ESP:0032f140 EBP:0032f1b4 EFLAGS:00000202(   - --  I   - - - )
 EAX:005ac616 EBX:7bcbe000 ECX:00000031 EDX:0032fccc
 ESI:0032f158 EDI:0032f268
Seems to me that I'm missing DLLs and might need to include the static libs or DLLs like you indicated. I know that the readme.txt shows how to build those DLLs and static libs. Would this approach work? Where should I put the DLLs or static libs relative to my exe?
Luke1410
Site Admin

Post by Luke1410 »

The error is about your WS2_32.dll not providing the required inet_pton function. This is part of the Windows DLL and not SLikeNet/RakNet. Hence, using the static lib or dynamic lib won't make a difference.

I take it you are using Wine to run the exe on Linux? If so, the changelog entry for Wine 1.7.31 suggest it was missing in a previous build (see: https://www.winehq.org/announce/1.7.31 / https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36713 / https://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi? ... ction=edit ). You are not running such an old Wine version, are you (it was released in late 2014 already)?
mantracker
Junior-Member

Post by mantracker »

Luke1410 wrote:The error is about your WS2_32.dll not providing the required inet_pton function. This is part of the Windows DLL and not SLikeNet/RakNet. Hence, using the static lib or dynamic lib won't make a difference.

I take it you are using Wine to run the exe on Linux? If so, the changelog entry for Wine 1.7.31 suggest it was missing in a previous build (see: https://www.winehq.org/announce/1.7.31 / https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36713 / https://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi? ... ction=edit ). You are not running such an old Wine version, are you (it was released in late 2014 already)?
That error was indeed caused by my outdated wine version. It was at version 1.6. I updated it to 3.0 and now everything runs fine!

I have a question now about NATCompleteServer demo itself. Now, I noticed that when I run the NATCompleteServer demo on my linux digital ocean droplet (which I assume is not behind a router), it says that it started at 127.0.0.1, instead of at the droplet's public IP. This is worrying:

Server GUID is 535928524476531549 
IPs:
1. 127.0.0.1
2. 127.0.0.1
3. 127.0.0.1
Using port 61111
002a:fixme:kernelbase:AppPolicyGetThreadInitializationType 0xfffffffa, 0x7bfe74
Started on 127.0.0.1|61111
Next, I opened up canyouseeme.org at the droplets Public IP, with port 61111. Unsurprisingly, it seems the port is not opened.

This is the problem I ran into before as well. Have I misunderstood something about how it's supposed to work? My plan was simply to create a linux droplet, run the NATCompleteServer on the linux machine, run NATCompleteClient on my Windows machine (which is behind firewalls and a router), and hopefully NAT punches through and everything connects
Luke1410
Site Admin

Post by Luke1410 »

This might be an issue/limitation of the cloud server you are running into there.

Can you check/verify the returned hostname from gethostname(). I guess this doesn't return the correct one and when getaddrinfo() is called to resolve the hostname, the wrong IP addresses are retrieved.

If this is true, then I can put this on the list of issues to resolve (case: SLNET-171). Unfortunately, this might then take a while since there'r already quite a few other things which need priority atm.

A quick workaround could be to pass the correct hostname via the command line (or retrieve it from the environment variables/settings) and then set the socket descriptor directly. Does this work for you?
7eleven

Post by 7eleven »

Luke1410 wrote:This might be an issue/limitation of the cloud server you are running into there.

Can you check/verify the returned hostname from gethostname(). I guess this doesn't return the correct one and when getaddrinfo() is called to resolve the hostname, the wrong IP addresses are retrieved.

If this is true, then I can put this on the list of issues to resolve (case: SLNET-171). Unfortunately, this might then take a while since there'r already quite a few other things which need priority atm.

A quick workaround could be to pass the correct hostname via the command line (or retrieve it from the environment variables/settings) and then set the socket descriptor directly. Does this work for you?
When I call GetHostName, I just get the name of my computer, which I'm sure is wrong.
How do I get the correct hostname?
Luke1410
Site Admin

Post by Luke1410 »

This is actually correct. Pass that name to the call to getaddrinfo(). It'll return a linked list of addresses. I'm curious whether this list actually contains any IPv4 other than the localhost ones (the output you are getting from the NATCompleteServer sample suggest it doesn't). Could it be that your cloud instance is only assigned IPv6 addresses but no IPv4 one? This might explain why the sample only lists 127.0.0.1.

To enable IPv6 support, add the following line to defineoverrides.h:

#define RAKNET_SUPPORT_IPV6 1
and recompile the project.

As mentioned a temporary workaround would be to manually assign the correct IP to the socket.
To do this you can use the following code snippet and add it to main.cpp in the NATCompleteServer sample prior to the rakPeer->Startup() call:

strcpy(sd[0].hostAddress, "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx");
7eleven

Post by 7eleven »

Luke1410 wrote:This is actually correct. Pass that name to the call to getaddrinfo(). It'll return a linked list of addresses. I'm curious whether this list actually contains any IPv4 other than the localhost ones (the output you are getting from the NATCompleteServer sample suggest it doesn't). Could it be that your cloud instance is only assigned IPv6 addresses but no IPv4 one? This might explain why the sample only lists 127.0.0.1.

To enable IPv6 support, add the following line to defineoverrides.h:

#define RAKNET_SUPPORT_IPV6 1
and recompile the project.

As mentioned a temporary workaround would be to manually assign the correct IP to the socket.
To do this you can use the following code snippet and add it to main.cpp in the NATCompleteServer sample prior to the rakPeer->Startup() call:

strcpy(sd[0].hostAddress, "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx");
I added the temp workaround, unfortunately it didn't seem to work.

Basically, in the main.cpp of NATCompleteServer, I changed to this:

sd[0].port=DEFAULT_RAKPEER_PORT;
	printf("Using port %i\n", sd[0].port);
	if (i>=2)
	{
		strcpy_s(sd[0].hostAddress, "DIGITAL_DROPLET_PUBLIC_IP");
		sd[1].port=DEFAULT_RAKPEER_PORT+1;
		strcpy_s(sd[1].hostAddress, ipList[1].ToString(false));
		sdLen=2;
	}

if (rakPeer->Startup(8096,sd,sdLen)!= SLNet::RAKNET_STARTED)
	{
		printf("Failed to start rakPeer! Quitting\n");
		SLNet::RakPeerInterface::DestroyInstance(rakPeer);
		return 1;
	}
Still cannot see the port even opened on port 61111.

This is the log I get from running the NATCompleteClient, trying to connect to the NATCompleteServer:

Failed NatTypeDetectionFramework
Proceeding to next stage.
Executing NatPunchthoughClientFramework
Enter IP of system NatPunchthroughServer, or press enter for default: DIGITAL_DROPLET_PUBLIC_IP
Enter port of system NatPunchthroughServer, or press enter for default: 61111
Connecting...
Enter RakNetGuid of the remote system, which should have already connected
to the server.
Or press enter to just listen.
Calculating port stride from DIGITAL_DROPLET_PUBLIC_IP|61111
CALCULATING_PORT_STRIDE timeout
Starting ID_NAT_PUNCHTHROUGH_REQUEST to guid 454863661084094967.
Punchthrough attempt to guid 454863661084094967 failed due to ID_NAT_TARGET_NOT_CONNECTED.
Failed: ID_NAT_TARGET_NOT_CONNECTED

Failed NatPunchthoughClientFramework
Executing Router2Framework

Failed Router2Framework
Executing UDPProxyClientFramework

Failed UDPProxyClientFramework
Connectivity not possible. Exiting
Luke1410
Site Admin

Post by Luke1410 »

This is weird. I don't have an immediate other idea at hand. Looks like I'll have to test this on the cloud instance myself. I try to get this squeezed in at some point (atm we are busy putting together the 0.1.1 release). I'll get back to you once I have further information.